It always amazes me that one day you’re in full summer mode, and the next, you can feel the change in the air, and, instinctively, you know, Fall has arrived. There may not be much of a temperature change, but the leaves and the grass take on a different hue, and soon, they begin changing into the glorious colors of Fall. I also find it interesting that when Fall arrives, our bodies lead us to eat different foods than we’ve been eating all summer, again, not so much due to the temperature, but I believe, to instincts and our body saying, “Hey..it’s gonna get cold soon, we need to fuel up and get prepared!” For me, I start craving potatoes and other foods that generate heat in the human body. Have you noticed that as well? How your cravings for certain foods can change with the seasons? October is National Apple Month, so these recipes will work perfectly for this month!
And don’t forget to read through to the end of this post, there is a GREAT contest for you to enter and win!!
Anyway, I thought this would be the perfect time to share some great Fall recipes with y’all. Have y’all heard of a line of beverages called Sparkling Ice? If not, check them out! I absolutely love the Crisp Apple Sparkling Ice and you can do so much with it, besides drink it! Although, it tastes great all on it’s own! Here are a few ways you can use Crisp Apple Sparkling Ice:
2 Parts Pisco
1/2 part St Germain
1 Part Crisp Apple Sparkling Ice
1/2 tsp Honey
Small sprig Rosemary
Directions: Warm Crisp Apple Sparkling Ice, honey and rosemary until it simmers. Remove Rosemary and pour into cocktail glass. Shake Pisco and St Germain over ice and add to glass with thin slice of apple.
Crisp Apple Sparkling Ice
Directions: Gently mix over ice in a rocks glass. Garnish with bean.
Green Tea Toddy
1 Part Crisp Apple Sparkling Ice
1 Part Bourbon
Directions: Heat bourbon, green tea bag and Crisp Apple Sparkling Ice until hot and tea has steeped. Remove bag and pour into toddy glass with lemon slice and star anise garnish.
Yield – 6 servings
Cook Time – 25-35 minutes
For The Crumble:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
For The Apples:
- ¾ cup Crisp Apple Sparkling Ice
- 8 red apples (Gala or Fuji preferred)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
For the crumble
- Combine brown sugar and flour in a mixing bowl, and cut in the butter with your hands. Mixture should look coarse with some chunks the size of peas.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to harden up.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pour the crumble on.
- Bake for 12-18 minutes or until light brown.
- Place baking tray on a wire rack to cool.
For the apples
- Core and cube the apples and place in a large bowl of cold water to avoid browning.
- Whisk together the cornstarch with Sparkling Ice in a small mixing bowl, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan melt 2 tablespoons of the butter.
- Add the apples, salt, and cinnamon. Sautee over a medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Pour the Sparkling Ice and cornstarch mixture into the pot, stirring continuously.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the remaining tablespoon of butter.
- Break the cooled crumble up with your hands to desired size.
- Scoop the warm apples into 6 small ramekins or an 8 inch square serving dish.
- Top with crumble.
- Serve immediately.
Crisp Apple Donuts
Yield – 12 donuts plus holes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Inactive Time: 3 hours or overnight
For The Donuts:
- 1 cup Crisp Apple Sparkling Ice
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
- ½ cup Splenda Sugar Blend
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup whole milk
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
For The Cinnamon Sugar:
- 1½ cups Splenda Sugar Blend
- ½ cup ground cinnamon
Part 1: Making the donut dough
- In a mixer, cream the butter and sugar together, on medium high speed for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time until combined. Slowly pour in the milk and half of the Sparkling Ice to the mixing bowl.
- With the mixer on slow speed add the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until just combined. The dough should look shaggy.
- Slowly pour in the remaining amount of Sparkling Ice on medium speed for 2 minutes.
Part 2: Dough storage
- Tear 2 pieces of parchment paper the size of a baking sheet.
- Line the first piece of parchment on a clean baking sheet and heavily dust with flour.
- Turn out the dough onto the floured parchment and press evenly till its about 3/4 inch thick. (If the dough seems too sticky flour your hands before pressing.)
- Lightly flour the top of the dough and place the second piece of parchment over the dough. Refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
Part 3: Frying donuts
- In a deep frying pan, heat enough oil to come up 2 inches from the bottom to 375 degrees using a candy thermometer.
- Gently peel the top piece of parchment off the dough.
- Using a floured donut cutter, punch out dough and place in hot oil.
- Fry on each side for 2-3 minutes or until light brown. Adjust the heat if needed. Scoop on paper towel lined baking tray.
Part 4: Finishing donuts
- Combine cinnamon and Splenda in a large bowl.
- While the donuts are still warm, toss with cinnamon and Splenda mixture until evenly coated.
- Serve warm.
You can find Sparkling Ice at your local retailer, use this handy search feature to find who carries it, near you.
Now…for what you were waiting for!! Sparkling Ice is offering an exciting sweepstakes opportunity for you and 100 of your closest friends to attend an exclusive private screening of DreamWorks’ newest movie, TROLLS, in your hometown. In honor of the movie, Sparkling Ice has activated an “UnconTROLLable Screening Sweepstakes” via Facebook that will allow fans to enter online for a chance to win a hometown screening of DreamWorks Animation’s TROLLS. You can enter the contest on Facebook here, and while you’re over there, go ahead and follow them! 🙂
I hope y’all enjoy these recipes! If you decide to try them, drop back by and leave me a comment! Happy Fall Y’all!!